Focus – The EU and the 2015 NPT Review conference (May-June 2015)
Federica MOGHERINI, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, at the United Nations - statement at the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) Review Conference, on 28 April 2015.
Overview of the latest EU official documents, publications of the Consortium and publications from the network regarding the 9th NPT Review conference (27 April – 22 May 2015)
“Less than one month ago in Switzerland, together with the Foreign Ministers of Iran, China, France, Germany, Russia, the UK and the US, we reached solutions on key parameters of a Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). It has been a very important step in the process to ensure the exclusively peaceful nature of the Iranian nuclear programme and the comprehensive lifting of sanctions. Now we need to build on this foundation and finish the challenging task within the set timeframe. A comprehensive solution would enable Iran to fully enjoy its right to nuclear energy for peaceful purposes under the relevant articles of the NPT in conformity with its obligations therein.
An important element of the comprehensive solution will be the need for Iran to fully cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) regarding all the outstanding issues of concern, including those of the Possible Military Dimensions. The EU calls on Iran to implement the modified Code 3.1 of the Subsidiary Arrangements to its Safeguard Agreement and to bring into force its Additional Protocol. I'm hopeful that these developments will have a positive influence on the atmosphere and proceedings of this Review Conference. And we all know that we need a good Review Conference now more than ever.”
Mrs. Federica Mogherini, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and security Policy,
Vice-President of the European Commission, General debate, 28 April 2015
- Statement by the European Union, Mrs. Federica Mogherini, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and security Policy, Vice-President of the European Commission, General debate, 28 April 2015
- Statement by the European Union, Mr. Jacek Bylica, Main Committee I, 1 May 2015
- Statement by the European Union, Ambassador Gyӧrgyi Martin Zanathy, 4 May 2015
- Statement by the European Union, Ambassador Gyӧrgyi Martin Zanathy, 7 May 2015
- EU support for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty and its verification regime, Working Paper by the European Union
- EU safeguards contribution to the global nuclear non-proliferation regime: Safeguards implementation in the European Union, Working paper by the European Union
- The EU’s promotion of the highest levels of nuclear safety – The revised nuclear safety directive, Working Paper by the European Union
Publications of the Consortium
- The European union and the Humanitarian Initiative in the 2015 Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Cycle, Jenny Nielsen, Marianne Hanson, NP paper No.41, December 2014, 20p.
- Making the NPT Review Conference a Success: 3 steps to a EU Common Position, Tarja Cronberg, in Ensuring a successful outcome of the 2015 NPT Review Conference: steps to an EU Common Position, Third Consultative Meeting of the EU Non-Proliferation Consortium, Brussels, 3 & 4 November 2014
- Working for a Successful 2015 NPT Review Conference, EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Conference 2014, Third Plenary Session, Brussels, 5 September 2014
- The 2015 NPT Review Process: Challenges & Opportunities, EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Conference 2013 Special Session 7, Brussels, September 30, 2013
- From Nuclear Weapons to WMD: the Development and Added Value of the WMD-Free Zone Concept, Harald Müller, Aviv Melamud, Anna Peczeli, NP paper No.31, September 2013, 20p.
- Defusing the Bomb or just Chit-Chat? Cooperation between the European Union and Japan on the NPT, Stratos Pourzitakis, NP paper No. 17, June 2012, 18p.
- The NPT review process and strengthening the treaty: peaceful uses, Giorgio Franceschini, NP paper No.11, February 2012, 16p.
- The NPT review process and strengthening the treaty: disarmament, Harald Müller, NP paper No.10, February 2012, 18p.
- A reflection on the current state of nuclear non-proliferation and safeguards, Andreas Persbo, NP paper No.8, February 2012, 18p.
Latest publications from the network
- Russia, the 2015 NPT RevCon, and the INF Treaty , Petr Topychkanov, European Leadership Network for Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, 10 June 2015.
- Reviewing a Review Conference: Can there ever be a successful NPT RevCon?, Henrik Salander, European Leadership Network for Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, 8 June 2015.
- NPT review: failure underlines challenges ahead, Strategic Comments, No.15, International Institute for Strategic Studies, 4 June 2015.
- Five years that will decide the fate of the NPT, Lukasz Kulesa, European Leadership Network for Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, 1 June 2015.
- NPT: cornerstone of nuclear non-proliferation or stumbling block?, Rebecca Johnson , Open democracy, Acronym Institute for Disarmament Diplomacy, 28 May 2015.
- Gangs of New York: The 2015 NPT Revcon, Andrea Berger, European Leadership Network for Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, 27 May 2015.
- VERTIC presents on nuclear disarmament work at NPT RevCon, Verification Research, Training and Information Centre, 21 May 2015.
- Reviewing the Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Regimes, Riccardo Alcaro, IAI Working Paper, Issue 15/16, 8pp., Istituto Affari Internazionali, May 2015.
- On the road to nowhere? New proposals on the Middle East WMD-free zone may backfire, Martin Malin, European Leadership Network for Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation, 11 May 2015.
- Five ways the Iran talks will help the NPT RevCon, Mark Fitzpatrick, Politics and Strategy, The survival Editors Blog, International Institute for Strategic Studies, 13 April 2015.
- Upholding the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, Thomas Countryman, IISS Discussion meeting with Thomas Countryman, International Institute for Strategic Studies, 6 March 2015.