/*page title*/ $title="The EU Non-Proliferation Consortium - Focus";?>
require_once $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/includes/config.php";
European perception of Iran: presidential election and the nuclear proliferation crisis. (July - August 2013)
Photo: UN Meeting
Overview of the latest EU official documents, publications of the Consortium, and publications from the network regarding the ongoing nuclear proliferation crisis in Iran.
“In the case of Iran, the EU remains deeply concerned about their nuclear programme and continues to be engaged in renewed efforts aimed at
finding a negotiated solution. Our objective remains to reach a comprehensive long-term settlement, which would restore international confidence
in the exclusively peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear programme, ensuring that Iran is in compliance with all its obligations under the NPT, as
well as relevant UNSC and IAEA Board of Governors resolutions, while fully respecting its right to the peaceful uses of nuclear energy.”
Ambassador Jacek Bylica,
Special Envoy for Non-Proliferation and Disarmament European External Action Service,
Second Session of the Preparatory Committee to the NPT Annual Meeting of States Parties,
22 April - 3 May 2013, Geneva, Switzerland.
Council Decisions and Regulations
EEAS Six-monthly Progress Reports
(since 2006, there has always been a Iran section in the progress reports. Here are only the ones that reflect changes in EU policies towards Iran.)
Publications of the Consortium
- European Efforts to Solve the Conflict over Iran’s Nuclear Programme : How has the European Union Performed ?, Olivier Meier, NP paper No.27, February 2013, p.22.
- A Middle East free of Missiles and Weapons of Mass Destruction: An Iranian View, by Nasser Hadian, Second EU Consortium Middle East Seminar, November 2012, Brussels.
- The Iran Nuclear Dilemma: The Peaceful Use of Nuclear Energy and NPT’s Main Objectives, by Seyed Hossein Mousavian, Second EU Consortium Middle East Seminar, November 2012, Brussels.
- Fourth Plenary Session-Iranian Nuclear Issue, First EU Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Conference, February 3-4, 2012, Brussels.
- The Iranian Problem: is a Diplomatic Solution Still Possible?, Mark Fitzpatrick, IISS, Presented at EU Non-Proliferation Consortium Kick-off Meeting, May 23, 2011, Brussels.
Latest publications from the network
- Iran’s next president, Dina Esfandiary, IISS, 19 June 2013.
- Rohani is cut from other wood, Paul Freiherr von Maltzahn, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Auswärtige Politik (DGAP), June 19, 2013.
- Rouhani's victory: An Iranian Spring or Business as Usual?, Ali Ansari, RUSI Analysis, June 18, 2013.
- Give Rowhani a chance, Mark Fitzpatrick, IISS, June 17, 2013.
- Yes they could - Iran’s presidential surprise, Rouzbeh Parsi, EU Institute for Security Studies, June 17, 2013.
- All the Supreme leader’s men: presidential elections in Iran in 2013, Marcin Andrzej Piotrowski, PISM Bulletin No.65, June 13, 2013.
- The enigma of elections in Iran, Evangelos Venetis, ELIAMEP, June 13, 2013.
- Iran before the Presidential Election, Barati András, Hungarian Institute of International Affairs, June 12, 2013.
- The EU's Iran Policy needs Plans B, C, and D, Cornelius Adebahr, European Policy Centre, Policy Brief, June 10, 2013, 4 p.
- Iran’s presidential election: new possibilities for nuclear negotiations?, Rachel Staley, BASIC This Week, June 10, 2013.
- The usual surprise? Iran’s presidential elections, Rouzbeh Parsi, EU Institute for Security Studies, Briefs, No.21 , June 2013.
- Iran and the Greater Middle East by 2020, Clingendael, May 18, 2013.
- Iran at the 2013 NPT PrepCom: a short guide on statements and reports, Victoria Godfrey, Rachel Staley, BASIC Blog, May 9, 2013.
- USA - Iran: Did Khamenei say "no" to direct talks?, Walter Posch, The Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP), February 13, 2013.
- Command and Control in a Nuclear-Armed Iran, Shahram Chubin, Proliferation Papers No. 45, January - February 2013, 33p.
- The Permanent Crisis: Iran's Nuclear Trajectory, Shashank Joshi, Whitehall Paper, December 13, 2012.
- Norm competition in the EU's Iran policy, Benjamin Kienzle, UNISCI Discussion Papers, Nº 30, October 2012, 15p.
- Why Kenneth Waltz is Both Right & Wrong About the Iranian Bomb, Thanos Dokos, ELIAMEP Thesis, 2/2012, September 2012.
- Un Iran nucléaire: comment éviter l'escalade?, M.Finaud, Revue Militaire Suisse N°3, May-June 2012.
- Impact of Sanctions and Isolation measures with North Korea, Burma/Myanmar, Iran and Zimbabwe as Case Studies, Clara Portela, European Parliament, Directorate-General for External Policies, Policy Department, May 31, 2012, 37p.
- Iran's Nuclear Impasse - Breaking the Deadlock, Paul Ingram, Gabrielle Rifkind, Eskandar Sadeghi-Boroujerdi, Report, Oxford Research Group, May 2012, 20p.
- Avoiding the Unnecessary War - Myths and Reality of the West-Iran Nuclear Standoff, Riccardo Alcaro, IAI Working Papers no. 12, March 2012.
- A Nuclear Iran: Avoiding a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy, M.Finaud, GCSP Policy Paper No. 2012/1, January 2012.
- Iran's nuclear programme: civil and/or military goals?, Bart Smedts, Defense & Security Analysis, Volume 28, Issue 3, 2012.
- Iran's Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Capabilities - A net assessment, International Institute for Strategic Studies, IISS Strategic Dossiers, February 3, 2011.
- Learning From a Troubled Experience – Transatlantic Lessons from the Nuclear Standoff with Iran, Riccardo Alcaro, The International Spectator: Italian Journal of International Affairs vol. 46, no. 4, 2011.
- After Sanctions, Deter and Engage Iran, Andrew Parasiliti, in Survival: Global Politics and Strategy, vol. 52, no. 5, October–November 2010, pp. 13–20.
- Dealing with Iran: How can the EU achieve its strategic objectives?, Shirin Pakfar, DIIS Report 2010/11, October 2010, 46p.
- Iran’s Ballistic Missile Capabilities : A net assessment, International Institute for Strategic Studies, IISS Strategic Dossiers, May 10, 2010.
- Raising the Stakes: The Need for a More Ambitious American Policy towards Iran, B. Zanchetta , FIIA Working Paper 63, 2010, 22p.
- Nonproliferation and Engagement: Iran and North Korea should not let the opportunity slip by: A comment on the actual state of affairs Heinz Gärtner , OIIP Policy Paper, November 2009, 6p.
- The use of voluntary safeguards to build trust in states’ nuclear programmes: the case of Iran, James Acton & Joanna Little, VERTIC Verification Matters, No. 8, May 2007, 87p.
- Thinking inside the box: Exploring legal approaches to build confidence in Iran’s nuclear programme, Andreas Persbo, VERTIC Verification Matters, No. 7, May 2007, 34p.
- Europe and Iran : Perspectives on Non-proliferation, Shannon N.Kile, SIPRI Research Report, No. 21, 2005.